Texans take great pride in their BBQ, as many others do in the south, but where does it rank against the best smoky, deliciousness in the land? According to TripAdvisor, it checks in at number three.
Now before all you Texans get ready to defend your pride (and meat) like the Alamo, let's look at how the food was rated.
The travel website used an objective grading method, their users. Million of travelers rated restaurants on their site and the top U.S. states for barbecue. The exact judging criteria can be found at the end of this article.
Here is their official list of best sweet, saucy and smoky meats:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Top 10 BBQ joints in U.S.
- Franklin Barbecue, Austin, Texas
- Oklahoma Joe's BBQ & Catering, Kansas City, Kansas
- Bogart's Smokehouse, Saint Louis, Missouri
- Wiley's Championship BBQ, Savannah, Georgia
- Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que, Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Jim's Smokin' Que, Blairsville, Georgia
- Joe's BBQ, Blue Ridge, Georgia
- Captain's BBQ, Palm Coast, Florida
- Poppa's BBQ, Clearwater, Florida
- Madd Jacks Grillin Shack, Cape Canaveral, Florida
The TripAdvisor ranking of top U.S. states for barbecue is based on the average rating and total number of reviews for BBQ restaurants, (giving more weight to reviews in the past 12 months), as well as the total number and percentage of restaurants in each state that are classified as BBQ (giving more weight to those with a minimum of 100 reviews).
The TripAdvisor ranking of top barbecue restaurants is based on establishments that have a minimum of 100 reviews and were ranked by quantity and quality, giving more weight to reviews written in the past year. Chain restaurants with more than 10 locations were excluded.