Dallas (WFAA) — A Texas family is fighting for changes after their young child died at school. The death was ruled an accident, but they wonder if it could have been prevented.
She was just days away from her sixth birthday. She was known as Miss Meaghan-- smart, bubbly, and taken way too soon.
The 5-year-old died in December of last year at Corbell Elementary. She had swallowed a push-pin. It was labeled an accident in the police report.
Five months later, and it's still tough for mom to talk about it, but her sister will.
"When you have so many questions and so many unanswered questions, it makes it that much harder to swallow and we can't even begin to grieve."
It happened early in the school day. Meaghan ran up to her teacher, her hands up near her neck, the teacher rushed her to the school nurse, but Meaghan collapsed in the hallway. Volunteers tried CPR and a nearby oxygen unit malfunctioned. This family is now asking if one thing had gone right, would Meaghan still be alive?
That's why the family is starting a petition hoping Frisco ISD listens. They want all teachers to be CPR certified. They also want pushpins removed from kindergarten classrooms. Frisco ISD has been advised not to comment.
This being an accident doesn't make it any easier for a mother, but it has fueled a family to call for change.
If it saves one life, it's worth it.