Late night fire claims life of Jackson Parish resident

Friday, February 7, 2014 - 4:02pm

State Fire Marshal investigators were called upon to investigate a deadly mobile home fire that claimed the life of a Jonesboro man late last night.

Jonesboro firefighters were dispatched to the residential structure fire at 504 Talbot Street just before 10:00 pm last night. Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters found smoke and flames venting from the east end of the 12’ X 34’ manufactured home. After the fire was brought under control, firefighters located the body of 79 year old Simon McDonald on a couch in the living room. McDonald lived at the home alone.

Investigators determined the fire originated in a bedroom and have attributed the fire cause to a “hot plate” that was being used as a makeshift heating device. Investigators believe that the “hot plate” ignited ordinary combustible materials that were in close proximity. Investigators found the remains of the hot plate within inches of the victim’s bed and were able to determine that the device was electrically energized at the time of the fire. There were no working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the fire.

All Louisiana citizens are urged to ensure their homes are equipped with at least one smoke alarm and that the smoke alarm is tested frequently to ensure that it is functioning properly. Citizens needing assistance in acquiring smoke alarms are urged to visit the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s web site at, and click on the main page button “Operation Save A Life.” There citizens can find valuable information on how they might acquire these life saving devices.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment