Internet gaming challenges and issues in the state
Louisiana — The Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman and the State Police Command Inspector for the Gaming Section presented the following information on Internet Gaming to the Louisiana Legislature this morning . Any inquiries should be directed to the Louisiana State Police Public Affairs Section at Headquarters.
From a regulatory standpoint, Internet Gaming presents a number of challenges and issues to consider.
- The citizens of the state must have trust and confidence that companies and individuals involved in Internet Gaming are suitable.
- Should include an application, background investigation, and licensing process similar to existing brick and mortar casinos.
- Mirror existing suitability standards in Title 27
- Licenses should be a privilege and the burden of proving suitability should be the applicant’s responsibility.
- Specialized regulatory compliance that can ensure the systems and programs operate in a consistent and fair manner.
- Clearly defined minimum standards for online gaming systems.
- Ability to audit the systems to ensure revenues are collected and system controls are in place.
- Appropriate testing and approval before games are available to the public.
- Regulator access to systems and records.
- Establish / publish rules of play.
- Ability to detect violations of law, regulations and criminal activity.
- Collusion / cheating between players.
- Protections against hacking into online systems.
- Identity Theft.
- Patron Complaints
- Specialized training to deal with these issues
- Safeguards to adequately prevent underage and problem gamblers
- Systems should interact with State and casino specific exclusion lists.
- Delinquent child support database.
- Can technology adequately ensure players are within the geographical boundary of the state?
- The existing regulatory structure provides a good template to build upon.
- Need flexibility to adapt to changing technology through administrative regulation vs law.
- Possible resource needs.
- Specialized positions in IT / Audit, Investigators with specialized IT training, and IT Network Security.