Firework sales begin in the city of Shreveport
The skies of Shreveport will soon be colorfully lit as firework sales kicked off Wednesday.
Stands officially opened this afternoon.
Fireworks can be discharged within the city limits between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. until July 5.
As the holiday approaches, Shreveport Police want to make sure everyone is celebrating responsibly.
"We know it's a festive time of the year with July 4th coming up, so what we mainly do is try to encourage people to make sure that they're following the laws how they're written and to abide by them. If someone is indeed continuing to be a nuisance then we'll address that issue and take the necessary and appropriate enforcement action at that time," said Shreveport Police Cpl. Marcus Hines.
Here a few tips to keep in mind concerning fireworks safety:
- Always wear safety glasses and do not wear loose clothing when using fireworks
- An adult should always be present and supervise the use of fireworks
- Read all labels and follow all instructions before lighting fireworks
- Light only one firework at a time
- Have a safe landing zone for aerial fireworks. Consideration should be given to wind direction and ignitability of everything in the landing zone
- Have a fire extinguisher or a bucket of water on hand to extinguish an incipient fire
- Never ignite fireworks while holding them. Put them down, then ignite them, and walk away
- Never ignite aerial fireworks where overhead obstructions (trees, eaves, wires, etc.) may interfere with trajectory into open air space. Never ignite aerial fireworks near an opening to a building
- Do not point or throw fireworks at other people. Do not carry fireworks in your pocket. If one happens to ignite, severe burns may result
- Always keep spectators a safe distance away