2 hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide

MGN-Online
Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 11:41am

The Bossier City Fire Department took two people to a local hospital this morning after they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide inside a home.

Fire and EMS personnel responded to a residence in the 1200 block of Waller Avenue at about 7:30 a.m., in reference to the smell of natural gas inside the house.

When crews arrived they found some of the seven occupants exhibiting varying degreesof symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Firefighters also detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the house that were suspected of coming from the home’s central heating unit which operates on natural gas.

Two of occupants, both adult males, were transported to Willis-Knighton South in Shreveport. Both were responsive and it is believed their conditions are not life threatening.

Exposure to carbon monoxide, or CO, can be fatal. It’s often called "the silent killer" since you cannot see, taste, or smell it. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.

The Bossier City Fire Department recommends residents take steps to making sure their home heating systems and appliances are working correctly to prevent situations like the one this morning from happening.
 

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment