Harrison County man shot dead after pointing gun at deputies

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:25am

Harrison County officials received a call from a residence in the Lansing Switch area of western Harrison County at around 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday regarding a family disturbance.

When deputies arrived, they were met by a man holding a pistol at the driveway's gate. He began speaking with deputies through the closed gate regarding an incident that occurred earlier in the evening involving a family assault at the residence. He was ordered to put the weapon down by deputies at the gate. He did not comply with the order then pointed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The weapon did not discharge.

Deputies again ordered him to drop the weapon. He instead ran to a truck and drove through the pasture to a barn located on the property. Deputies secured the area and attempted to find the man where he left the truck.

Deputies then called for further assistance and attempted to make contact with the suspect with no response. At approximately 6:00 a.m., it was confirmed that the suspect had barricaded himself in a large motor home parked next to the barn.

The suspect made no attempt to speak with deputies, but stood in the front windshield of the vehicle and continually pointed the gun at his head, making threatening gestures with the weapon toward the deputies. He then closed the curtains on the motor home and refused to answer repeated commands by deputies to come out of the motor home.

From Harrison County

At approximately 7:45 a.m. the suspect opened the curtains on the side of the motor home and stood in the window with the gun to his head. He was ordered by deputies to drop the weapon and refused to comply with the order. He then lowered the gun and pointed the weapon directly at deputies who were attempting to speak to him. Deputies shot the suspect and he fell to the floor of the RV.

When deputies entered the motor home, the suspect was found dead on the floor with the gun. The weapon was loaded and recovered by the entry team. There were no injuries to deputies during the event. The suspect has been identified as 44-year old Richard Owen Dean.

An investigation regarding the incident is being conducted by the Texas Rangers.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment