Boys eat medicine, taken to hospital

Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:28am

Two young boys were taken to the hospital early Thursday morning after ingesting some anti-depressant medication.  Bossier City Police and Fire responded to a call involving two boys, ages 2 and 3, who authorities believe ate several tablets of Klonopin, an anti-anxiety drug.

The two boys live at the home with their mother, their aunt and their aunt's children.  "The aunt got up this morning to take her children to school, and told her sister that she was leaving.  And when the sister came back, (the mother of the boys) was still in bed," Bossier City Police spokesman Mark Natale told us.  "The two children appeared to be ingesting what the aunt thought was candy, but it's believed that it was this Klonopin."

Authorities told us that the bottle was said to have been left on a dresser, and the children gained access to it.  When crews arrived at the home, they noticed that the children were lethargic.  The two boys were taken to Willis-Knighton Pierremont hospital for treatment, and are expected to make a full recovery.

This scary incident is an important wake-up call for all adults who have small children walking around the house.  "Certainly, this is a clear reminder of the importance of keeping the medication, particularly prescription medication, out of the reach of children," Natale noted.

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment