Bossier City in need of reserve officers
The Bossier City Police Department is accepting applications for its next reserve officer academy that is scheduled to begin late spring-early summer. The deadline to submit applications is February 11, 2011.
Reserve police officers are members of the community trained as certified law enforcement
officers who serve with regular Bossier City police officers. Bossier City reserve police officers
serve on a volunteer basis and while on duty possess the same law enforcement authority as regular officers.
Members of the BCPD Reserve Police Unit represent a wide facet of the community. Members include U.S. Air Force personnel, firefighters, business owners and professionals. Reserve police officers are tasked with a variety of duties including patrol, providing security and traffic control at parades and other special events and assisting the patrol division during emergency situations that require additional law enforcement personnel. They also assist with other activities including safety checkpoints, special operations and public relations events.
To be eligible for appointment to the Bossier City Reserve Police Unit, a person shall:
- Be not less than 21 years old
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a registered voter and resident of Louisiana (active military are exempt)
- Be fluent in the English language
- Submit to a background investigation
- Certify that he/she is in good physical condition, with a letter from the applicant’s physician
and at the applicant’s expense
- Submit to a drug screen at the expense of the police department
- Have never been convicted of a crime (with the exception of minor traffic violations)
- Possess a minimum of a high school diploma from an accredited institution or its equivalent
- Possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license (active military are exempt)
All reserve police officer applicants also undergo a psychology exam at the expense of
the police department and must pass a physical fitness test.
The reserve police officer academy will be held at the Bossier City Public Safety Training Center, 5850 Shed Road. Classes will be conducted on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and on some Saturdays over a three-month period.
Application forms are available at the administrative office on the second floor of the Bossier
City Police Department, 620 Benton Road. Forms may also be downloaded from the BCPD website at
www.bossiercity.org/layouts/Police---Reserve. Completed application forms and required attachments
are to be turned in to the Bossier City Police Department’s administrative office by the February 11, 2011 deadline.
For more information call (318) 741-8662.